The 2018 Kansas City Marathon presented by Garmin is committed to environmentally friendly practices through green initiatives. Through the Council for Responsible Sport (CRS), the Greater Kansas City Sports Commission & Foundation and the participants and volunteers of the Kansas City Marathon presented by Garmin are committed to reducing the environmental impact of the event on the Kansas City community.
With the increased environmental challenges in the world, the Kansas City full marathon, half marathon, 10K, and 5K seeks to reduce its environmental impact as it continues to grow in different ways each year.
The Kansas City Marathon presented by Garmin is pleased to be in the third year of sustainability efforts. Led by guidelines set by the Council for Responsible Sport, the following is a list of our goals and initiatives:
- Measure race day waste and divert at least 90% of total waste
- Donate all leftover food items to a local homeless shelter or food pantry
- Use zero Styrofoam – and introduce a zero Styrofoam policy for all Kansas City Marathon vendors, participants and Finish Line Festival groups.
- Perform over 98% of registration via paperless online registration
- Estimate the carbon travel footprint of event participants
- Provide composting receptacles for paper cups; measure total composted
- Solicit feedback in post-race survey from participants
- Work with an organization to set up running shoe donation at packet pick-up
- Set up recycling opportunities for race bibs
- Continue previously established initiatives, including providing recycling bins during race and offering compostable options
- Continue to work with an organization to set up medal recycling
- Work with an organization to set up heat sheet recycling on race day
ABOUT COUNCIL FOR RESPONSIBLE SPORT
The mission of the Council for Responsible Sport is to provide objective, independent verification of the socially and environmentally responsible work event organizers are doing, and to actively support event organizers who strive to make a difference in their communities. The Council for Responsible Sport is an Oregon-based 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. For more information about Council for Responsible Sport visit their website.
The 2018 Kansas City Marathon presented by Garmin with the help from the many green partners, sponsors and volunteers has been awarded Gold Certification from the Council for Responsible Sport. Only 20 events in the world have received gold level certification their first year filing since CRS was founded in 2008.
The Kansas City Marathon presented by Garmin would like to thank everyone that worked hard to help make the marathon a green event, propelling this event into an elite group!