The 2018 Kansas City Marathon is set to be an unforgettable race
Hello my fellow Kansas City runners! This is Dave Borchardt, the Race Director for the Kansas City Marathon presented by Garmin.
I have enjoyed seeing so many of you over the winter, spring and summer as we have traveled to more than 50 races, expos and community group runs, beginning with the Groundhog Run in January and finishing with our giant celebration group run at Run 816 on September 30.
Now, as we approach the Kansas City Marathon on October 20, I am excited to talk to you once again about what is set to be a memorable race day experience!
This year will mark the 33rd running of the Kansas City Marathon and, for the second year in a row, we are positioned to have more runners participating than we had the previous year. Last year I asked you to help us grow the Kansas City Marathon and make it one of the best races in the Midwest, and all of you amazing local runners responded by coming out in huge numbers to race, spectate and volunteer. Thank you so much for rallying around our race – you guys are awesome!
We are always working to keep the Kansas City Marathon experience fresh and exciting for our participants, and we have several new elements this year that we think you are really going to enjoy:
- We’re bringing Kansas City style BBQ back to our Finish Line Festival! After crossing the finish line, you will be able to feast on a delicious pulled pork sandwich, prepared by our nonprofit partner Operation BBQ Relief. A special shout out to Prairie Fresh who donated 3,000+ pounds of pork to help make this happen!
- U.S. Olympian & “America’s Coach” Jeff Galloway will be participating in this year’s race. We encourage you to come meet Jeff at our Health & Fitness Expo at Union Station and also take part in his Galloway Running School on Friday, October 19 in the evening. You can register for the Galloway Running School through this link.
- You can purchase Kansas City Marathon branded lululemon apparel online and at the Health & Fitness Expo. lululemon has some of the best, most-comfortable running apparel around, and we are excited to offer our participants men’s running shorts, women’s running shorts, women’s tights and crop pants all branded with our 2018 City of Fountains theme.
- We are also excited to partner with Up-Down for this year’s Finish Line Festival. Up-Down, our great local retro arcade bar, is one of the most fun places in Kansas City, and you’ll be able to swing by their booth following the race to enjoy retro video games, giant Jenga, life-sized Connect Four and more.
- Garmin is bringing in two of the top triathletes in the world to participate in the Kansas City Marathon – Jenny Fletcher and Holly Lawrence. Holly was the 2016 Ironman 70.3 World Champion!
In addition to these new things, we’re bringing back the things we know you loved from last year. We’re keeping the Health & Fitness Expo at Union Station, we have a very similar course to 2017, which includes that lightning-fast downhill finish on Main Street, and we’ll still have a killer after party with free food, free beer and live music throughout the day. Be sure to stick around and enjoy the party in the Finish Line Festival….after all that training, you deserve to celebrate with your friends!
If you are reading this and you have not yet signed up for the race, it’s not too late! We have distance options for all fitness levels with a 5K, 10K, half marathon and full marathon, and walkers are welcome as well. I would like to personally invite you to be a part of Kansas City’s biggest and best race…you’ll get fireworks to kick off the race, a beautiful course lined with more than 15 bands, a cool participant shirt, a great medal, free downloadable race photos and a huge after party!
If you love Kansas City as much as I do, the Kansas City Marathon is definitely the race for you. Everything we do screams “Kansas City,” from our course that runs past virtually all of KC’s biggest landmarks, our pre-race Health & Fitness Expo at Kansas City’s iconic Union Station, our “City of Fountains” themed shirts and medals and our great local bands on the course and in the Finish Line Festival, our race is all KC – all the time.
I’ll be waiting for you at the finish line on race day, and I can’t wait to see you ring the Kansas City Marathon gong to celebrate your great race!